Gender and Media Matters is an International conference in line with the activities of the GeMMA Research Unit and of the PhD Programme in Communication, Social Research and Marketing (Department of Communication and Social Research, Sapienza University of Rome).
The Conference has the objectives of advancing discussion about gender and media studies and exchange among scholars from different countries, providing an overview of the most recent and original studies on gender and the media, and giving prominence to research strands that are not always visible in the international arena.
The conference will be held online and in-person on October 15 and 16, 2021.
There will be two keynote lectures, three round tables and several parallel panels.
The opening lecture will be given by Rosalind Gill (City, University of London).
The closing lecture will be a dialogue between Milly Buonanno (Sapienza, University of Rome) and Paola Bonifazio (University of Texas at Austin).
The round tables will cover the following topics:
· Gender and Media Studies in Italy.
· Gender and Media Studies in Europe and the Mediterranean Region.
· Gender in Focus. Issues, Paths and Perspectives in GeMMa Research.
The best proposals selected in response to a call for papers will be hosted in the parallel panels.
A selection of papers will be published in partner journals of the conference such as About Gender, Comunicazionepuntodoc, H-ermes. Journal of Communication, Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies, Mediascapes Journal, Problemi dell’informazione, Sociologia della Comunicazione, Sociologia italiana-Ais Journal.
- 15th February: Call for papers proposals opens
- 15th May: Deadline for abstract submissions
- 15th June: Notification of acceptance/rejection
- 16th June: Registration opens
- 15th July: Deadline for conference registration